V

Why we cannot get enough of Tiger Woods



Like many fans around the world I guess, into the second day after Tiger Woods has won his 15th Major championship in one most dramatic fashion imaginable - or unimaginable - I still cannot get enough headlines and stories about this super-champion and find myself keep searching for more.

I started following the scores eagerly but quietly since last Thursday when the 83rd Masters championship tournament was kicked off. I deliberately refrained from telling my family about what was drawing my attention (as I am the only one interested in golf so they wouldn't know what was going on unless I told them), lest this time turning out to be another disappointment. I also deliberately stopped watching any commentators' talks, particularly Mr. Chamblee's, allowing myself to witness the making of history from the most neutral light.

Two nights ago, in my part of the world, I stayed up all night just to wait for the results on the Masters' leader board despite being just hours away from needing to get to work, wondering at every click and peep at my phone whether this could be the coveted moment of triumph or just another destiny of lost hope. I tried to sleep and leave to the morning the answer of whether the red shirt would prevail and conquer the rest of the field or be vanquished, but just couldn't help it and had to wait for the answer of how the story would go down in history.

Ecstasy, surrealism, and funny enough, like the world would miraculously become all the better with the fairy-tale-like outcome at Augusta, tranquility set in, putting me to sleep.

I have been feeling so happy for Tiger Woods and what has happened and transpired in the golf world, and I am still feeling happy now. My wife called me a fanatic since I have been sharing the headlines with her, trying to make her understand the significance of what has been happening in the golf world and the reverberations beyond it.

But I am wondering why. Yes, he is no doubt a hero and idol of populations of people, but why his every win, not to mention this round of hard-earned glory, would elicit such an intense feeling of joy in me and so many others.

1. Greatness
However one chooses to define it, Tiger Woods' stories form a world-class legend of immense historical significance. He is a super-talent of one out of millions and eons. We are lucky to be witnessing a live legend in the making in our own life time, with the live stories crossing over generations of champion.

2. Vindication
Story lines of vindication were being played out on and off the golf course in dramatically captivating fashions, against all doomsayers, all young suitors and competitors, from life's lows and, as recent as the previous two Major championships, the failures to close the deal. This time, he beat those two Major champions fair and square, with perseverance, wisdom and panache. We all love stories of exoneration.

3. Inspiration
There are rich sources of inspiration for the world, about the power of ambition, commitment, determination, learning, patience, focus, grit, and how boundless and timeless greatness could be.

4. Affection
From bear-hugging his dad to bear-hugging his kids in sharing his triumph and joy with decades in between, from being arrogant to being friendly over the years, from congratulating other younger champions recently to being congratulated by the coterie of past champions young and old, those who were inspired by him and those who were vanquished by him, we can all appreciate the bright side of humanity.

5. Meaning
In our contemporary world of ambiguities and misgivings, Tiger Woods' strong feats present the world with clear meanings to digest and learn from. There are stories of both failures and successes on the golf course, as in life itself, but with causes and effects in clarity, with no room for excuses. Every stroke and putt counts in the game of true integrity. There is no space for double meanings to a single result. A loss is a loss, which what could have been could not turn back. A win is a win, be it out of sheer skills or luck, or both.

I, for one, never doubt the possibility of  "Tiger's back" over the years. My faith is that he is like a comet, having shone brightly for a couple of long stretches in the past two decades, will be shining the most glamorous for one last streak, hopefully for much longer, before dimming off in good grace.


 

Comments

Popular Posts