V

Developing

Acquaintances often ask me how do I feel about living in this city (Jakarta), having been here for just over a year now (time flies). Out of diplomatic courtesy, my spontaneous response is that it feels nice. It's not hyprocrisy, since "nice" is indeed what I manage to feel most of the time. But I am also honest about how annoying the traffic usually is, and how I even get used to it.

I'm from Hong Kong, and have lived in cities in the category of "developed countries" - Osaka and Vancouver - and those almost in that category if not already there - Seoul and Dubai. Besides, I have seen New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Singapore, and more places certainly more "developed" than Jakarta, in any senses of the word. So what so nice I can feel about living here? I ask myself.

Depending on one's angle of vision, this can either be a place of hidden jewel or one of lost hope. On the one hand, it has an abundance of natural resources, including oil and gas, and a vast supply of manpower. On the other hand, scenes of poverty and desolation are commonplace, with beggars, vagabonds, shags, worn-down buses, broken infrastructure, empty buildings and every sign pointing to a complete lack of town planning everywhere to be readily observed. It is a place of sharp contrasts, between the filthy riches and the destitude street-sleepers; between the sparse high-rises and the clustered shanty huts; between the glittering shopping malls and their messy surroundings; in summary, between the haves and have-nots.

I have read contemporary writing on the subject of happiness. Some studies suggest that a person's sense of well-being depends more on those of the people around him rather than the absolute level of wealth he earns. But the comparison makes sense only when it relates to one's peers, or people one considers to be relevant or aspires to relate to in one way or another. Comparison to a state of abject poverty is hardly a cause for elevation in spirit. Needless to say, nor would comparing to the top echelon of social hierarchy makes me feel any good. No, the sharp contrasts are certainly no reason for my feeling nice about living in Jakarta.

It may just be my job, the cosy house that I inhabit with my small family and the general hospitality of the people I encounter here that make me feel nice. Or perhaps it simply has to do with the opportunity that I have to explore an alternative life in another faraway place from home. And if I can turn my eyes away from the piercing glare of sharp contrasts here, I can also avoid the competitive landscape and the sea of judgement and hyprocrisy which one is bound to be immersed in in one's hometown.

Tranquility of the soul, however, comes at a cost. My wife called me to my office this afternoon, informing me that there were some guys turning up at our house's door threatening to have our electricity supply cut off for failing to pay the bill on time. This could probably be one of the most, if not the most, ridiculous scenario I could imagine happening in a civilized city nowadays. Nevertheless, I immediately went to the Finance department and checked with a staff on what's happening to the electricity bill which I clearly remembered having passed on for processing a few days ago. She was already on the phone checking with the bank. Subsequently, the story I received from her was basically that the bank failed to remit the automatic transfer to the electricity company by the deadline of the 20th (today is the 22nd) for its system failure and the lack of follow-up by anyone. Someone then helped me to call home and explained to the threatening guys on what happened. Though it was understood, they declined to back off until an immediate settlement of a fee of some sort - basically for cancelling their cut-off operation. It was of course settled as such, as with anything in this town which money can help to settle for good I guess.

Comments

Popular Posts