V

New Year Resolution

To be either eventually broken or fulfilled, I think a new year resolution helps to create a sense of purpose and therefore should be made. Even an attempt at it allows one the occasion to reflect on what one really wants out of life, at least for the next 12 months. Before making any new resolution, it is also useful and interesting to look back on past performance.

For myself, being superstitious or otherwise, my Chinese horoscope "clashed" with that of the year - the Boar - according to the Chinese calendar for 2007 - and there were indeed melancholily testing moments - I am now happy to have almost passed it in one piece, let alone having any moments of triump to relive in memory. But I still have small feats for my own consolation after all.

Besides any accomplishments at work, I've managed to deploy my time rather more productively, say, than previous years:
  • I've read over 20 books.
  • With an abundant variety of economically affordable golf courses in Jakarta, I have been more committed to the game over the weekends or Sundays, and become able to play more consistently and reduce my handicap cheerfully, though still not able to break 90 consistently.
  • I've made Kristie begin to learn Cantonese, albeit slowly.
  • I continue to compose my special memoir for Kristie, to be presented to her when she grows up to a certain age, probably 18. I've told her my mission already, which she already seems to appreciate at the current age of 5.
  • I am continually dedicated to my gym ritual, to visibly satisfactory effect - I think, and was told.
  • I have committed to be useful to my family in time of sickness, in spirit and action, and endeavored as such in face of a terminal illness.
  • I have found and reconnected with old friends through Facebook and otherwise.
  • I have been keeping my life aspirations alive in my head.

That's not really a great list, but good enough for myself to build on for another year, for which I resolve to:

  • read and learn from another 20 enlightening books;
  • break 90 consistently and 80 occasionally on the golf course;
  • make Kristie communicate with me in Cantonese fluently;
  • keep up with my gym sessions, healthy diet and health consciousness for my family;
  • take active steps to start turning a life aspiration real; and
  • adopt a baby.

Saving some money also forms part of my new year resolution, though it's meaningless to disclose any specific number in public.

Learning from the Wild Cat's slogan from the "High School Musical", I am getting my head in the game, making the best of hopefully a very promising year of the Rat.

Comments

Popular Posts