V

Happy New Year!

For so many years up to now, I have been trying to make new year resolutions here. Somehow I feel habituated, perhaps even obliged, to continue doing so. Again, naturally, a review of the past year should come first.

A few pictures may do the job far better than plain words, and will surely and quickly refresh my impression of the year when I shall happen to look back in time in years ahead.

A plant is not just a plant, particularly one that I have resurrected from near extinction and since closely associated with in heart and soul.

Admiring it in awe now, it is hard to imagine that it was once withering to such a deplorable state that all branches and leaves were draping down earthwards looking like a phantom. Coincidently and sadly, it was like a mirror image of myself - by feel if not exactly in look - at the time over one and half years ago.


Ironically, I was largely responsible for the dilapidated plight of the plant - as I was for the despondent outlook of my own self - in one simple word: ignorance. For the case of my poor plant, I had been simply and persistently depriving it of water - the basic spring of life - for the naive fear of rotting its roots and drowning it! For the case of myself, misery resulted largely from  my misconception about how the world around me actually worked, and the subsequently painful awakening.

But then, as Proust advocated even from centuries ago, there is no true learning in life without suffering. Infirmity alone makes us take notice and learn, and enables us to analyze processes which we would otherwise know nothing about. Indeed I suffered successfully and, with enlightenment through trials, I have been assiduously attending to watering my lovable plant with the right frequency with much zeal, even talking to it tenderly, eventually to miraculous rejuvenation. Gradually and steadily, it rose and blossomed; joyfully, branches overshot the pole.

Likewise, I have learnt my lessons at work and steer on, though not as straight-forward as watering my plant. My spirit is raised after all. Of course, a plant is but a plant.

With my beloved family, I am blessed. It is destiny calling that we are bonded. I feel consoled that I may have my two children at my deathbed when my time eventually comes to pass, and that they will be there to support each other for their days with no more parents.

For now, with my enlarged family, I have found peace in our new found environment of inspiration and joy, and treasure all the moments that we are having.

But it is also another precious and life-long learning opportunity - for patience, communications, counter-intuition, forgiving and, after all, the meaning and reward of unconditional giving.

Perhaps for the 25th time so far, I have, once again,  moved home in the middle of this year. Believing in Feng Shui or otherwise, it feels far more cozy and homely than our previous one.

But then I may be living my nomadic life again before long. Why not, life is boring without adventures!

And life certainly feels like dead wood without continuous learning. While I cannot avoid the degenerating process of physical aging, I have chosen to humble and enlighten myself with further education - notwithstanding the costs of money and time.

I am indeed enlightened, not just with all sources of intellectual stimulation, but the network of friendly comrades of elite pedigree - and our ongoing initiatives of social enterprise and fun.

Otherwise, during the eventful year of Rabbit, I travelled to Milan for the first time (Bvlgari hotel is really nice), re-visited Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Shanghai, Penang and Jakarta - catching up with old friends from afar; attended a couple of wedding receptions and three funerals; picked up the long-lost hobby of guitar playing; played one round of golf after a long pause of over one and half years; sustained my daily rituals of push-up; by and large, learnt to better appreciate the merit of marriage by aging together.

I have also enjoyed the bonus of watching my beloved daughter  starting to play piano - and being entertained with her progressive practices. Her sudden diligence in conquering her disliked subject of Kumon also delighted me a great deal.

Perhaps by way of my paternal coaching - no, not claiming credit - or her own enlightenment through other means I am not aware of, she has become very mindful of her homework commitment and the importance of time management. She brought along her homework during our Christmas holiday and took her own initiative to occupy herself with it in the hotel rooms in the evenings.

With all the blessings that I have had, despite the far from cheerful world economic outlook, I look forward to embracing 2012 with the promising opportunities ahead for the creation of more happiness.


If I am to make my specific resolutions for the new year (why not!):
1) Make all encounters pleasant, constructive and rewarding;
2) Become proficient in writing and typing in Chinese;
3) Pass and do well in all examinations;
4) Resume my gym rituals;
5) Improve my guitar playing skills - with at least 10 songs;
6) Keep in amicable touch with my friends;
7) Endeavor to launch our private membership of social enterprising and fun.

No point to over-stretch the list, that's it, though writing is good.

Happy New Year!

Comments

Keseven said…
Happy new year! All the best with the resolutions. I haven't come up with mine yet, well mostly will be carried forward from last year. :D

Popular Posts