V

Patience Works Wonder

I have known of BlackBerry since its first generation, probably 6 years ago, but never been keen on adopting it, as I have never really been a geek about all the fanciful digital gadgets (though I have bought an iPhone - for my spouse) . In fact I have been kind of resisting bringing BB on in my life even in face of its proliferation within the company I work for, let alone in the world. I did not want to be immersed in emails cracking all the time, which I imagined would most certainly be the case with the clever device had I got one.

But when a brand new BB Bold was suddenly presented to me as a gift (like a return of goodwill from the iPhone), there was no reason to resist it for any longer - as it does indeed look fancifully irresistible! I got on with cracking all its intelligent features right away. As it turned out, however, while adding all the Internet mailboxes to the handheld is easy enough, activating the Blackberry Enterprise Service to synchronise my company's mailbox was far from a smooth-sailing experience - indeed a rather frustrating one for me.

With instructions from my IT colleague (over emails and long distance calls), I have to "wipe" the handheld a few times to start the activation process over and over again. For a combination of reasons (not excluding poor luck and carelessness), I even once inadvertently wiped off all in-built "3rd party applications", which kind of pricked my heart, but was still not able to activate the desired service afterwards.

An momentary sense of despair inevitably ensued, but did not last long. I became rather cool and even "Zen" (for lack of a better word) about it - that if it does not work out, I just won't use it, no big deal. I was not using it before those frustrating hours of failed attempt in cracking it, so my life is not going to be any worse off without it.

Then all of a sudden, like a reward for my passing the perseverance test, the local telecoms network began to change fates with its magic waves in the air. My handheld began to indicate the activation process kicking in with the company's emails appearing to be synchronized one after another. Even those coveted but wiped applications miraculously reappeared. Though not a big deal, a brimming sense of joy for the moment was perhaps an understatement.

Now I may become a handheld keyboard freak engrossed in emailing or chatting away from the viccinity of physical reality like the next person, sitting in the car or waiting for my meal in a restaurant. But it is indeed handy, especially when I can now chat with my brother in NY on instant massaging - supposed to be free of charge - over a cup of coffee in a cafe. But my appetite and time for books are in no way eclipsed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good to see you have a blackberry, I think they save a lot of time, and you don't always have to read the email!
V said…
Hey, it's nice to see you back.

Perhaps we could chat through the BB every now and then if you also carry one :)

Popular Posts