V

Where the Real World and the Virtual One Converge

This is but one of the informative weblogs I have recently read on the fascinating subject of social media. There is so much to explore from all the social sites and so much to learn from the abundance of blogs written on them - which communities to join, which links to build and ultimately, how to drive traffic. I couldn't help but feel bedazzled with the proliferation of creativity and intelligence involved.

It is clear that the growth of social communities within the vast cyberspace is phenomenal. It also occurs to me that each community, as in real life, is made up of clusters of big and small circles of "friends" linking with each other in all spontaneous directions possible. So there is indeed a huge potential for the ambitious bloggers to build an audience from. Given time and determination, one should eventually find one's space, cut a figure and host one's own party.

For corporate blogging, however, the relevance of audience is no doubt more important than social blogging. All the social sites, despite their scales, may not necessarily be good starting points for a corporate blog to draw traffic. Of course it also depends on the industry concerned. In any case, I think it makes more sense for a company to build its initial blogging community with its established base of customers, who naturally should be sharing more common interests, and also more perceptible to the company's noises, readily respond and start interacting. Chances are that, particularly for a popular brand, through these "opinion champions" of the corporate blog, it will eventually also tap into all the other social webs, building incremental but relevant audience.

As for myself, though fascinated by the evolution of social networking, I also realised that in cyberspace, as in real life, there are only just so many parties that I can go to, let alone having real fun. In both domains, I remain the same character as who I am after all, comfortably coming back to writing my blog - where my own two worlds converge.

Comments

Popular Posts