V

Deprivation

I have been feeling so desperate for the past 2 weeks when I couldn't even enjoy one glimpse of the Olympic games. I don't know how the Indonesian participants might have felt, knowing that no one back home would be watching their live performance or, perhaps, not even replay on TV. Yes, for whatever reasons, it seems there is hardly any TV coverage of the once-every-4-years worldwide celebratory event in the entire Indonesia - the 4th most populous country on earth, the most democratic nation in South East Asia.

I feel just so poor, not being able to enjoy something I know the majority of the world population could do so, or what I could have done so had I been at home - Hong Kong - indeed any other neighbouring countries a couple of flight hours away.

But what the Indonesian nation is deprived of is far more profound than the mere entertainment of the monumental games on TV. Indeed Olympics is not just about entertainment but inspiration for the new generations - the glory of hard-won achievement. It is a pity that the children here miss such a valuable opportunity to be inspired.

Comments

Popular Posts